Shaughnessy Golf and Country Club began as part of the Canadian Pacific Railway’s vision to create the most prestigious neighbourhood in Vancouver, Shaughnessy Heights. The private gentleman’s club with golf for members and guests was built by the CPR as an amenity for its new development on land it had been granted for building the transcontinental railway.
The Club was officially founded as Shaughnessy Heights Golf Club on April 26, 1911 when Richard Marpole assembled eight of Vancouver’s most successful businessmen. Richard Marpole, B.M. Humble, W.E. Burns, H.E. Ridley, Fordham Johnson, John Hope, J.E. McMullen, J. Poff and E.A.C. Studd became the Club’s first members and directors.
Shaughnessy Heights Golf Club was the centre of Vancouver’s social scene where “everyone who was anyone” came for business, socials and family activities – and great golf.
The original golf course stretched between 33rd and 37th Avenues, east of Granville and across Oak Street. The Club hosted a “soft opening” of nine holes and a partially completed clubhouse on November 2, 1912. When the back nine opened for play the following spring, Shaughnessy Heights boasted the only 18-hole golf course in Vancouver.